Chef Tejasvi decodes the Chocolate Souffle!
ALL THINGS CHOCOLATE SOUFFLÉ
- Refined flour - 2tbsp
- Caster sugar - ¼ cup
- Salt - ½ tsp
- Milk - ½ cup
- Unsalted butter - 1 & ½ tbsp
- All Things Single Origin 64% Malabar Forest Chef’s Chocolate - 1 cup
- Eggs separated (white and yolk) - 4 no.
Now we all know how intimidating making a soufflé may seem but if you follow all the steps that I’ve mentioned below to the T, it’s going to be a cake walk for you.
- Start by preheating your oven at 190° C.
- Grease 6 ramekins generously with butter and coat it with a sprinkling of caster sugar. Please remember when you are greasing it with butter angle the brush upwards this will help the soufflé to glide up. I was given this advice by French chef who made a kickass soufflé for me and my father at a restaurant in Paris. I swear by this advice. Now with the help of your thumb clean the rim of your ramekin this will allow the soufflé to rise above the ramekin.
- Take a saucepan and start adding flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar and salt. Start pouring the milk very slowly and start incorporating it with the dry in ingredients. You want a smooth paste with no lumps. Now place the pan on medium to low flame and start whisking it till it thickens.
- Remove it from the heat and add the chocolate chunks. Let the chocolate melt with the heat of the pan without mixing it yet. This will take a min or so.
- Once the chocolate has melted start mixing it with a spatula. If you feel the mixture is very thick then just add 3 teaspoons of milk and adjust the consistency. We want a smooth flowy consistency.
- Add the yolks to the chocolate mixture and mix with the spatula till everything is well combined.
- In another clean large bowl whip up the egg whites till it’s got stiff peaks.
- Start by folding 1/3 of the fluffed up egg whites into the chocolate mixtures and then fold in the rest very gently without knocking out a lot of air from the egg white. Please use a rubber spatula or a metal spoon to do this.
- Pour in the batter into your greased ramekins and place them on a baking tray.
- Bake at 190 ° C for 17mins exactly. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR while the soufflé is baking.
- Once baked, dust some icing sugar on top and serve hot.