Chocolate Lava Cake
Chocolate lava cake is a dessert that combines the elements of a chocolate cake and a soufflé. Our chef’s chocolate is excellent for baking and recipes that require melting. It has very balanced flavour notes, making it apt for any kind of baking.
- 85 g 64% Malabar Dark chocolate chunks
- 120 g whipping cream
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Add chopped chocolate chunks into a small bowl.
- Add the butter and a pinch of salt.
- Pour the boiling whipping cream over the mixture and set aside for 2 minutes for the chocolate to melt, then stir with a silicone spatula, to get a silky smooth chocolate mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a small baking dish or bowl and place in the freezer for 30 - 40 minutes.
Chocolate Lava Cake Mixture
- Add chocolate chunks and butter into a heatproof bowl and melt over a pot of boiling water or in 30-second intervals in a microwave. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and a pinch of salt. Whisk vigorously for 2 minutes, then add the melted chocolate mixture and whisk with a hand whisk until combined and thick.
- Add the all-purpose flour, non alkalised cocoa powder, and baking powder. Whisk until well combined. Place in the fridge for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C. Grease six aluminium muffin cups. The muffin cups should be about 6 cm (2.5 inches) in diameter and 4 cm (1.5 inches) high. If you are using ramekins/muffin pan grease them, and dust with all-purpose flour or cocoa powder. Make sure to grease the whole interior of the cups.
- Take the chocolate ganache from the freezer. Using a small ice cream scoop or a teaspoon scoop out some chocolate ganache. Shape into six balls, each weighing approximately 30g.
- Add a heaped tablespoon of the chocolate lava mixture into a prepared cup, place the ganache ball on top, then cover with the rest of the chocolate lava mixture until 3/4 filled.
- Transfer the cups onto a baking sheet. Place in the preheated oven on the middle rack. Bake for 16 - 18 minutes at 200 °C.
- Once the lava cakes are baked, remove them from the oven, set them aside for 1 - 2 minutes, then invert onto a dessert plate and serve immediately.